Thursday, September 25, 2008

Phew...That's over...

Last week and this, I prepped for a presentation for work. There was a conference this week, with probably about 100 people per session, and I (gasp) volunteered to take over a session that was planned, but unmanned. Saw the room on Monday, it looked to hold about 140 people, and they were all there!

So today was the day! We had one session before lunch, where we did focus groups on different designs, and we got about 80 customers for that, which was great. Unfortunately, they didn't all come back after lunch for my stand-up and talk session, and neither did anyone else. Out of about 40 people in attendance, only about a dozen were actual customers, the rest were other 'softies. Sigh. It's hard to vet plans with customers when they aren't there. Guess my joke to colleagues about how we should encourage people to check out the excellent shopping across the street wasn't a joke after all! That or they were tired of sessions on their last day.

I did fine, my presentation went well, but when you plan to talk for about 30 minutes of your hour-long slot keeping half of the time free for discussion along the way, you don't expect to be done at 36 minutes. But that's what happens with only a dozen participants. Better luck next time? Kind of a let down.

It did feel good to once again demonstrate that I can conquer my public-speaking anxiety. Lots o' prep, plus talking about something you really DO know about, sure helps :-). I mentioned to Max last night at bedtime that my presentation was tomorrow. He said "why are you so scared?". I was hoping that I was showing him that even though I was nervous about doing something difficult, I was preparing and pushing through the fear and accomplishing something. Might be a little too subtle for 5. But maybe it'll be a teaching example later. Who knows.

So that's me, and my week. Tomorrow, my biggest thing is a group lunch at work and date night. Yay - fun stuff!

Oh, and I really liked my outfit. It's a keeper. Thanks for helping me shop, Mom! Isn't it funny how clothes can boost your confidence?

6 comments:

annzy said...

yeah ~it's got to feel good to have something like that behind you~ way to go!

Orange said...

That's good to hear you are conquering! I'm sure Max understands more than you think. They always do.

boisegrammy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
boisegrammy said...

Good work! It always feels good to have something like that behind you. I don't know that it gets any easier the more you do it, but it is good for us to stretch ourselves. Now M knows what kind of stuff his mom is really made of. (I think he already knew.)
Sorry about the deleted comment, but it had too many typos in it.

Lucy van Pelt said...

Yay!!! It's over and you did it! The best part is that you have a great outfit for it.

Jo said...

Yah Sammy!! Way to go!!!
Isn't it amazing how a new outfit boast that confidence, but the thing is you had it in you all a long. I understand about being nervous but you are so good at what you do, that everthing comes through.

And you are setting the example for Max and I truly believe that is the most important part. To show that we can do things and be nervous or scared, but we can still accomplish them. You are a good mom!!