Friday, January 25, 2008

Hats are Easy-Peasy

A friend had a baby. I needed a gift asap. I realized that I had cute pink/white variegated cotton yarn, just a ball, enough for a little baby hat. I like hats. They're easy-peasy and super quick. All it takes is the right circumference, and the rest you can pretty much make up. I used a pattern for the sizing and decreases, but did some modifications for fun... and ain't it cute?





And boy, did I cut it close on the yardage (see, it was one ball, but I'd swatched with it before, so it was more like 3/4 of a ball). See photo above right for how much was left when I finished the decreases. Ooh that was close. Now I just hope it fits the little kidlet.

Specs
  • Yarn: Trendsetter Yarns Scoubi Du in color 054 (Pink stone wash)
  • Needles: Addi Turbo size 6, 16 inch circulars, plus bamboo size 6 dpns
  • Pattern: Borrowed sizing & decreases from this one, but the hat itself doesn't really look much like it ;-). Thanks for the sizing, though!
  • Modifications: Added eyelet row about an inch and a half up, skipped the top knot when I ran out of yarn.

In other news, I think I neglected to post a picture of Max's cool new loft bed from IKEA.


After spending the first night up top, he decided he'd rather sleep on the floor underneath. And after I ironed the canopy up top, he decided he didn't want that on the bed. Ah well.

3 comments:

Orange said...

You'll have to let me know how you like the bed. We are considering getting one and using it for a bunk for the boys to free up some space in their room. I just want to know how sturdy it is, as my boys are, um, a little bit excited at times!

Jo said...

Love the hat! Super cute!
Max's bed looks fun, I think he should keep the canopy. (especially after you spent all the time ironing it.)

cyndy said...

What a cute hat! Perfect use for that yarn!