Sunday, January 10, 2010

More food

Still working on random recipes from random cookbooks. Tonight's dinner, courtesy of Cooking Light's The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook (p 363):

Skillet-roasted lemon chicken with potatoes
I say yum, the rest say "ick", but I laugh last because I get the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

1 large lemon, sliced
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tbl lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp chopped fresh or 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
10 cherry tomatoes (I added more)
10 kalamata olives (pitted)
8 small red potatoes, quartered (1 1/2 lbs)

450 degree oven

Arrange lemon slices in a single layer on the bottom of an oven-proof 10 inch skillet.
Combine oil and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken, tomatoes, olives, potatoes and toss to coat.
Arrange chicken on top of the lemon slices, then arrange vegetable mixture over chicken. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until chicken is done (was 45 for me).

4 servings.

I made some couscous too, and had some crusty bread on hand, and I also sprinkled a little feta cheese on top. Yum for me!

Maybe I'll try the technique again (because it was super easy!) only with some onions & peppers on the bottom instead of the tart lemon, and skipping the olives & tomatoes (like I said, good flavor combo for me, not so popular with the rest of the house) to make it savory rather than bitter.

1 comment:

Lucy van Pelt said...

That sounds good! Too bad the boys didn't like it, but I say good for you too. I made the scalloped potatoes with Gruyere today. They turned out yummy.