Thursday, July 9, 2009

By demand, Colin's cake

We celebrated Colin's 46th on Monday (although I kept calling it his 45th - guess I'm a year off). Here's the cake:


If you can't tell (and that'd be my fault, since I made it), it's a round headed screw embedded in a piece of wood.
In other news, Max and I made a bunch 'o jam and a bunch 'o ice cream/sorbet over the 4th (got a head start on the jam the weekend before). Jams: cherry, raspberry, apricot. Ice cream: watermelon sorbet, grape ice, apricot ice cream.

Here's some jam in progress:

3 comments:

annzy said...

I knew exactly what the cake was when I looked at it ~although all I could think of was that quote from steel magnolias where she says she can't imagine making gray icing.
How do you make watermelon sorbet?

Sam said...

Watermelon sorbet:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Watermelon-Sorbet-106885

The gray frosting is weird - it keeps changing colors. It was a light purplish, then darker, if you cut into the slice, you can see a pink layer. It's really weird. Just used black food coloring with white frosting.

boisegrammy said...

Glad to see you keeping up with the bowl-cake tradition. Noelle got a cone flower that looked a bit like a soccer ball. I like the imagination of a round=headed screw. I probably wouldn't have thought of that.