Friday, March 9, 2007

Max's Suess Hat

After Christmas, I knitted Max a toboggan hat. It turned out very fun - and very homemade looking. But cute! Colin says it's a little bit Seussian. Cat in the hat anyone? Well, we've been reading that a lot for bedtime anyway.

Things I learned:

  • I knit weird? See combined knitting (http://www.anniemodesitt.com/knit.html).
  • Knitting in the round on circular needles can make all your stitches lean over if you don't know what you're doing.
  • Decreasing with K2tog while knitting in the round on circular needles can leave you with a spiral seam ;-).
  • Knitting in the round with decreases and stripes can do weird things if you're not careful - like let a peek of the wrong color show through in the "seam".
  • Purl 3/Knit 1 ribbing isn't really ribbing. It doesn't compress, but it stretches very well, especially in cotton.
  • Cotton stretches. A lot. I knew this from sweaters I'd bought, but I hadn't really thought about a 3 year old pulling a knitted hat all the way down over his face.
  • Cotton's not very warm. Perhaps wool next time for a winter hat.

Specs:

  • Pattern - none, or rather, my own made up.
  • Yarn - Patons Grace - mercerized cotton in Cardinal and Snow.
  • Needles - US 4 circular and double-points.

No comments: